Professional support for returning teachers
If you've been out of the classroom for a while, or you’re moving to Queensland to teach, you may need help meeting the requirements to renew your teacher registration with the
Queensland College of Teachers (QCT). Recency of practice is also required as part of their renewal conditions to ensure all teachers maintain current curriculum knowledge, skills, and practice.
We developed our Restart Teaching program to support registered teachers with:
Our Restart Teaching program
Our Restart Teaching program has been endorsed by the QCT and is delivered online through our eLearning hub, the Learning Place. It will get you up to date with the current curriculum frameworks, teaching and learning practices, and legislative and legal responsibilities in contemporary school settings.
The 20-hour program consists of four online modules:
- Module 1: Returning to the Teaching Profession (self-paced module)
- Module 2: Positive Learning Environments (self-paced module)
- Module 3: Teaching in the Contemporary Classroom (facilitated module)
- Module 4: Engaging the Contemporary Learner (facilitated module).
Modules 1 and 2 are self-paced over a 7-week period, and must be completed within the allocated session time, prior to commencing modules 3 and 4. Modules 3 and 4 are fully facilitated over a 7-week block. During modules 3 and 4, you’ll work with an experienced online facilitator to complete the program. Each facilitator is a qualified teacher.
2020 course dates
|Semester 1||24 February – 3 April 2020||20 April – 5 June 2020|
|Semester 2||10 August – 18 September 2020||6 October – 20 November 2020|
Program requirements and cost
The Restart Teaching program costs $440 and is open to all:
- current Queensland state school teachers
- teachers returning to teaching in Queensland state schools after extended leave or a period of absence
- interstate or international teachers seeking employment in Queensland state schools.
You’ll be issued with a certificate on completion of your Restart Teaching program. You must then submit this certificate to the QCT as evidence that you’ve met the RTT condition associated with your teacher registration. Alternatively, you may use the certificate as evidence of CPD.
To receive your certificate of completion, you are required to:
- complete the module 1 and 2 online assessment with 100% accuracy
- complete module 3 and 4 workbooks to a satisfactory standard as deemed by the online facilitator.
Register for Restart Teaching
Registrations for the Semester 1, 2020 intake are now open.
If you’d like more information, please email the
Learning and Professional Development team.
Information about requirements for renewal of registration is available from the QCT.
Frequently asked questions (DOCX, 26KB)