Professional support for returning teachers
If you've been out of the classroom for a while, or you’re moving to Queensland to teach, your registration with the
Queensland College of Teachers (QCT) may include a 'Return to Teaching' (RTT) condition.
This condition ensures all teachers maintain current curriculum knowledge, skills, and practice.
To address this, the department developed the Restart Teaching program to support registered teachers with:
Note: You can participate in the Restart Teaching program even if your registration does not have an RTT condition. The program will boost your confidence as you return to the classroom by giving you the latest information on the current curriculum and pedagogy.
Our Restart Teaching program
Our Restart Teaching program has been endorsed by the QCT and is delivered online through our eLearning hub, the Learning Place. It will get you up to date with the current curriculum frameworks, teaching and learning practices, and legislative and legal responsibilities in contemporary school settings.
The 20-hour program consists of four online modules:
- Module 1: Returning to the Teaching Profession (self-paced module)
- Module 2: Positive Learning Environments (self-paced module)
- Module 3: Teaching in the Contemporary Classroom (facilitated module)
- Module 4: Engaging the Contemporary Learner (facilitated module).
Modules 1 and 2 are self-paced over a 6-week period, and must be completed within the allocated session time, prior to commencing modules 3 and 4. Modules 3 and 4 are fully facilitated over a 7-week block. During modules 3 and 4, you’ll work with an experienced online facilitator to complete the program. Each facilitator is a qualified teacher.
2020 program dates
|Semester 1||24 February – 3 April 2020||20 April – 5 June 2020|
|Semester 2||10 August – 18 September 2020||6 October – 20 November 2020|
2021 program dates
|Semester 1||22 February – 1 April 2021||19 April – 4 June 2021|
|Semester 2||9 August – 17 September 2021||5 October – 19 November 2021|
Program requirements and cost
The Restart Teaching program costs $440 and is open to all:
- current Queensland state school teachers
- teachers returning to teaching in Queensland state schools after extended leave or a period of absence from the classroom
- teachers who have never taught in a classroom since obtaining their teaching qualifications
- interstate or international teachers seeking employment in Queensland state schools.
You’ll be issued with a certificate on completion of your Restart Teaching program. You must then submit this certificate to the QCT as evidence that you’ve met the RTT condition associated with your teacher registration. Alternatively, you may use the certificate as evidence of CPD.
To receive your certificate of completion, you are required to:
- complete the module 1 and 2 online assessment with 100% accuracy
- complete module 3 and 4 workbooks to a satisfactory standard as deemed by the online facilitator.
Express your interest in Restart Teaching
To be considered for the Semester 1 2021 intake, submit your expression of interest by
Friday 5 Feburary 2021.
Submit your interest
If you’d like more information, please contact Program Support at
Information about requirements for renewal of registration is available from the QCT.
Frequently asked questions (DOCX, 116KB)