Applications for the 2024 intake have now closed. If you would like to be alerted about future rounds of the program, please
register your interest.
Internship host schools
Queensland state schools can now express their interest in hosting a Turn to Teaching intern in 2025. The host school expression of interest (EOI) will be open from 12 February 2024 until 5pm 8 March 2024. If your school is interested in hosting an intern, please complete the below applicable EOI survey:
For more information, see the
Turn to Teaching Internship Program – internship host school fact sheet or email the TTT team at
If you are looking for a career change and have decided to
become a teacher, the Turn to Teaching Internship Program (TTT Program) is a 2-year program which will help you get into the classroom in 12 months and will provide you with:
- financial support while you study an eligible Initial Teacher Education (ITE) program
- a paid teaching internship with support in the classroom while you gain professional experience
- a permanent teaching position in a Queensland state school following completion of your studies
- the opportunity to start making a difference in the lives of young Queenslanders sooner than most teacher preparation pathways.
'The Turn to Teaching Internship Program is great for those looking to change careers into the teaching profession.'
'After a lot of thought into changing careers, the Turn to Teaching Internship Program was the final push I needed to jump into my teaching career.'
'The Turn to Teaching Internship Program has been overwhelmingly positive in my transition into education.'
We are committed to selecting a diverse group of aspiring teachers for the TTT Program to reflect the Queensland communities we serve.
To be eligible for the TTT Program, you must have an undergraduate degree (minimum 3-year Bachelor) in a field other than education/teaching and meet the requirements of 1 of the following categories:
- Individuals who have not previously commenced an ITE program and are
- eligible to enrol in and commence an approved ITE program (e.g. Master of Teaching) in Semester/Trimester 1 2024, at a partnering Higher Education Institution (HEI).
- Individuals that have previously commenced but not completed an ITE program as follows
- individuals who have commenced an ITE program and are not eligible for recognition of prior learning from a partnering HEI (usually commenced ITE program 10+ years prior)
- individuals who have recently completed a maximum of 2 courses/units only (maximum 24 credit points) of an ITE program (e.g. Master of Teaching) with a partnering HEI and are eligible to continue enrolment or qualify for re-enrol for commencement in Semester/Trimester 1 2024 (please note that current academic transcript must be included in your application).
Eligible applicants must also:
- be eligible for enrolment into one of the following postgraduate initial teacher education (ITE) courses
- be willing to commence full-time study in 2024 and be able to successfully complete full-time study in Year 1 of the TTT Program (adhering to a specific TTT/HEI Program map)
- be willing to undertake an internship at any state (primary or secondary) school located in Queensland
- demonstrate commitment to teach in a Queensland state school in an in-demand subject* area including the secondary subjects / curriculum areas of English, mathematics, science, technologies, languages, teaching in an in-demand subject area within a Special Education setting and/or priority geographic location** upon completion of the TTT Program for 2–3 years
- be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia.
* Those who specialise in other subject areas not listed above may apply for the Turn to Teaching Internship Program, however, when applications exceed the number of available places preference will be given to those who will be able to teach the priority subject / curriculum areas. Please note: The priority subject / curriculum areas listed are subject to change, depending on the department's workforce needs.
** Priority geographic locations means Queensland state schools in Local Government Areas
other than Brisbane City Council, Gold Coast City Council, Noosa Shire Council, and Sunshine Coast City Council.
Successful applicants will receive the following.
Year 1—scholarship year: full-time study (including any relevant professional experience [PEx]) with a partnering higher education institution
- $20,000 (taxed)^ scholarship payment—the scholarship will be paid in four lump sum instalments of $5,000 (before tax) across the year of study.
Year 2—internship year: part-time study (including final-year PEx) and a 50% teaching load (25 hours per fortnight) in a Queensland state school
- A paid teaching internship (paid at full-time rate) with a fortnightly salary starting at $2,759.20 (before tax and other deductions).
- Reduced teaching load (50% teaching load / 25 hours per fortnight) to allow for study and course work.
- Access to the
benefits of a full-time teacher.
- Payment of the
permission to teach fee to the Queensland College of Teachers (QCT).
- Access to
rural and remote benefits if the internship is in a state school with a transfer rating (TR) of 4–7.
- One-year credit of minimum service commitment for TTT Program purposes.
- Mentoring, support and access to a TTT intern Community of Practice (TTT CoP) to share experiences.
^ All payments are taxed and will impact the take home pay in the fortnight which it is paid (this includes additional contributions to tax e.g. HECS/HELP). It is recommended that recipients obtain financial advice from a financial advisor,
Centrelink and/or the
Australian Taxation Office for any implications this may have on current and future earnings/taxable income/benefits received.
For further information please refer to:
How to apply
Applications for the 2024 intake are now closed. If you would like to be alerted about future rounds of the program, please register your interest.
Register your interest
If you require more information after reading the attached fact sheet and FAQs, please contact the Turn to Teaching team, Department of Education by email