Why should you apply?
Successful applicants will receive:
- a $20,000 (taxed) scholarship in the first year of the postgraduate Initial Teacher Education (ITE) program—designed to assist with study expenses
- a paid internship (full-time) in a Queensland state school with a reduced teaching load (50%) during the second year of the postgraduate ITE program
- a supervising teacher, mentor and access to a community of practice for interns to share their experiences
- an offer of permanent employment (subject to meeting the program conditions) as a teacher in a priority subject area or region.
Who is the program for?
We are committed to selecting a diverse group of aspiring teachers for the Turn to Teaching Internship Program to reflect the Queensland communities we serve.
To be eligible for the Turn to Teaching Internship Program, you must:
- be eligible for enrolment into one of the following postgraduate ITE courses:
- be willing to undertake an internship at any state (primary or secondary) school located in Queensland
- demonstrate commitment to teach in a Queensland state school in a priority *subject area including Sciences, Design and Technologies (including Engineering), Mathematics, Languages or Special Education and/or priority **regions (possible rural or remote placements) for 2 to 3 years
- be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia.
*Those who specialise in other subject areas not listed above can apply for the Turn to Teaching Internship Program, however, preference will be given to those who study the priority subject areas.
**Priority regions include Central Queensland, Darling Downs-South West, Far North or North Queensland.
Priority selection will be given to applicants who will specialise in priority subject areas and are willing to work in rural or remote locations.
How to apply
Applications for the 2022 Turn to Teaching Internship Program are now closed.
Register your interest for future program rounds and we’ll alert you when more information is available.
If you require more information, contact the Turn to Teaching team, Department of Education by email