Benefits of teaching in rural and remote schools
There are a lot of great reasons to teach in our rural and remote communities, like fulfilling your sense of adventure and connecting deeply with your school community. The work itself can be life changing, and there are generous financial benefits, assistance to move and career progression opportunities. There are also more permanent employment opportunities in rural and remote schools than in schools in Brisbane or the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.
Depending on the location, benefits can include:
Which locations are eligible for benefits?
Every state school has an allocated transfer rating from one to seven. Teachers in schools with a transfer rating between four and seven may be entitled to receive the relevant rural and remote benefits. Schools with ratings of one and two are generally in metropolitan and regional cities and do not attract additional benefits or locality allowances. In addition, if you are permanently appointed to a school with a transfer rating between four and seven, after a number of years in that location you may be entitled to seek a guaranteed transfer to a school in your preferred geographic location.
In addition to your salary, depending on the location, you may be entitled to receive:
- a compensation benefit, for you and your dependants to compensate you for the cost of travelling in and out of your community
- an incentive benefit, to allow you to extend your stay in your chosen community
- a locality allowance, which is a specific allocation of funds for your location
- an identified location incentive, if you’re teaching in an identified Indigenous community
- a compensation benefit flight option, for teachers working in specific schools in communities where alcohol restrictions apply.
Calculate your potential benefits
For specific information about these benefits, download the
Choose your teaching adventure brochure (PDF, 7.4MB) or the
Remote Area Incentive Scheme (RAIS) Procedure (DOCX, 447KB) which contains detailed policy information as well as application and declaration forms.
Subsidised teacher accommodation
Subsidised rental rates may be available for teachers and their families in some rural and remote locations when we’re able to provide access to teacher accommodation. These rates can vary depending on the location.
Transfer and appointment assistance
If you accept a permanent or long-term temporary role in a location that requires you to move from your current place of residence, you may be eligible for support to help your move, including reimbursement of some expenses.
Payments or reimbursements may cover:
- moving employees and family along with personal effects
- temporary board and lodging
- other expenses related to taking up duty.