Teacher registration in Queensland


​​​Gaining teacher registration is a special milestone in your teaching career. It means you have met the professional standards for entry into teaching in Queensland and are eligible for employment in both our state and non-state schools. That's worth celebrating!

How to register with the Queensland College of Teachers

Teacher registration with the Queensland College of Teachers (QCT) is mandatory for all teachers looking to work in Queensland state and non-state schools. As the QCT are a separate authority to us, you'll need to apply with them directly.

You can learn more about their teacher registration process, including assessment criteria, on the QCT website.

When to apply for teacher registration

The short answer is – as soon as you intend on teaching in Queensland!

If you're an interstate or international teacher moving to Queensland, you can apply for employment before you obtain registration. However, you must be registered before you can start teaching.

Still studying?

You don't need to wait until you've graduated. You should apply for teacher registration when you're in the final semester of your teaching degree. Once your university or college advises that you have met all program requirements, the QCT can finalise your registration.

It's worth noting that as a teacher in Queensland, it's a condition of employment that you maintain annual registration with the QCT. Make sure you familiarise yourself with the application fees so you can apply when needed.

Your provisional teacher registration

Most teachers are initially awarded Provisional teacher registration. Think of this period as a supported induction into the teaching profession in Queensland.

To be eligible for full registration, you must complete the QCT's provisional to full registration process.

Mutual recognition

If you're an experienced teacher who holds registration in another Australian state or territory, or New Zealand, you may be able to apply for registration under mutual recognition arrangements. Questions about your eligibility should be directed to the QCT.

Working with children requirements

Instrumental music instructors, community and assistant teachers who do​ not have education or teaching qualifications are not eligible for teacher re​gistration. You are required to obtain a Blue Card to work in a Queensland state school.

Applicants who hold current Queensland teacher registration do not need to obtain a Blue Card.

Apply for teacher registration

For more information on their registration process, fees, eligibility, or to apply – head to the QCT website.

Last updated 23 May 2023