We encourage preservice and experienced teachers to join our dynamic education teams working with children in identified Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander communities.
We seek teachers with a unique skillset, who demonstrate the expertise, enthusiasm and capacity to teach in these complex Indigenous communities. Working in an identified Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community can be challenging, but also incredibly rewarding.
We support all our teachers moving into these communities with:
- induction, in-service and post-service professional development, including a comprehensive induction program to prepare teachers for employment in Indigenous communities
- professional development about cross-cultural awareness, engaging students in learning, second language pedagogy and behaviour management
- opportunities for interaction with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- access to relevant teaching resources
- involvement in learning communities (discussion lists, interactive technologies)
- incentives under the
Remote Area Incentives Scheme (RAIS), which may include cash benefits, flight allowances, and/or extra leave.
We carefully consider all candidates and will recruit the teachers who are best placed to help our students thrive.
How you can apply
If you are qualified but not currently employed as a teacher with us, you will first need to complete an
application for teacher employment. Our recruitment team will then contact you about suitable opportunities.
Once you’re employed as a permanent teacher, you’ll be able to apply through our annual departmental teacher transfer process. From time to time we may also advertise specific vacancies on SmartJobs—check out our
current vacancies to see what’s available and to apply.