Get a head start on your teaching career and secure employment while you're still studying.
Our Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (TECE) programs provide participants with high quality mentoring and professional development that compliments the final year of their initial teacher education program studies.
This is a program of teaching excellence*, using the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers ‘graduate level’ to provide a consistent application of excellence.
Mount Stuart Cluster – Townsville/Cairns
For high quality preservice teachers with a focus on English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EAL/D) and or low socio-economic status communities in North Queensland region or Far North Queensland region, visit
Mount Stuart Cluster Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (MSCTECE).
For high quality preservice teachers to be excellent pedagogical practitioners with a focus on literacy and numeracy in the curriculum, and social disadvantage, visit
Morayfield Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (MTECE).
For high quality preservice teachers with a focus on teaching in inclusive environments and students with disability, visit
Teacher Education Centre of Excellence: Special Education (TECESE).
For high quality preservice teachers of Prep to Year 12 with a focus on working in rural and remote locations, visit
Kelvin Grove Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (KGTECE).
Building the capacity, readiness and resilience of early career teachers for Logan City state schools and exposure to rural and remote placements. Visit
Logan City Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (LCTECE).
Supporting science, technology, engineering, mathematics, psychology and Senior English professionals during their Master of Teaching (post-graduate initial teacher education program). Visit
STEAM Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (STEAM TECE)
What you receive
TECE participants are provided with:
- A head start on your teaching career and the ability to secure your future employment while you're still studying.
- Opportunities for additional in-school experience.
- Expert mentoring whilst studying.
- High quality professional development which compliments your final year of initial teacher education program studies.
- A fast tracked guarantee of permanent employment in a Queensland State School. (Determined by each region based on location requirements and/or subject areas).
- The opportunity for enhanced / accelerated career advancement.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the TECE program you must:
- Be in your final year of initial teacher education
- Commit over a 12 month period to complete a minimum of 50 additional mentored classroom hours plus 50 additional hours of professional learning. (Delivered by your Head of TECE, experienced teachers and external providers, covering the Australian Professional Standards).
- Be able to demonstrate high quality academic and non-academic capabilities by achieving and maintaining a minimum GPA of 5.5 or higher.
- Be available to commence employment as a teacher in a Queensland State School following successful completion of all the TECE program. (Employment offer is determined by each region based on location and/or subject area).
NOTE: This program is for preservice teachers who are yet to gain their teacher qualifications. If you already have your qualification, please refer to apply to teach with us for information on applying for teacher employment in Queensland state schools.
Enquiries and further information
Applications for these programs are now open, please submit your application through SmartJobs. For further information please contact the TECE team at
*Supported by key recommendations made by the Teacher Education Ministerial Group (TEMAG) in its December 2014 report,
Action Now: Classroom Ready Teachers.