Get a head start on your teaching career and secure employment while you're still studying.
Our Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (TECE) programs provide participants with high quality mentoring and professional development that compliments the final year of their initial teacher education program studies.
This is a program of teaching excellence*, using the APST ‘graduate level’ to provide a consistent application of excellence to enhance the classroom-readiness of teachers for employment in Queensland state schools.
Interested preservice teachers are required to apply online for selection into one of the following six TECE programs:
|Attracting high quality preservice teachers in North Queensland region (NQR) or Far North Queensland (FNQ) with a focus on English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EAL/D)/low socio-economic status.||Mount Stuart Cluster (Townsville/Cairns)|
Morayfield East SS
|Preparing high quality preservice teachers to be excellent pedagogical practitioners with a focus on literacy and numeracy in the curriculum, and social disadvantage.||
Aspley Special School
|Preparing high quality preservice teachers for teaching in inclusive environments with students with disability.||TECE Special Education|
Kelvin Grove SC
|Attracting and supporting high quality preservice teachers in Prep to Year 12, preparing them to work in rural and remote locations.||Kelvin Grove|
Mabel Park SS
|Building the capacity, readiness and resilience of early career teachers for Logan City state schools and exposure to rural and remote placements.||Logan City|
|Supporting science, technology, engineering, mathematics, psychology and Senior English professionals during their Master of Teaching (post-graduate initial teacher education program).||Benowa|
What you receive
TECE participants are provided with:
- A head start on your teaching career and the ability to secure your future employment while you're still studying.
- Opportunities for additional in-school experience.
- Expert mentoring whilst studying.
- High quality professional development which compliments your final year of initial teacher education program studies.
- A fast tracked guarantee of permanent employment in a Queensland State School. (Determined by each region based on location requirements and/or subject areas).
- The opportunity for enhanced / accelerated career advancement.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the TECE program you must:
- Be in your final year of initial teacher education
- Commit over a 12 month period to complete a minimum of 50 additional mentored classroom hours plus 50 additional hours of professional learning. (Delivered by your Head of TECE, experienced teachers and external providers, covering the Australian Professional Standards).
- Be able to demonstrate high quality academic and non-academic capabilities by achieving and maintaining a minimum GPA of 5.5 or higher.
- Be available to commence employment as a teacher in a Queensland State School following successful completion of all the TECE program. (Employment offer is determined by each region based on location and/or subject area).
NOTE: This program is for preservice teachers who are yet to gain their teacher qualifications. If you already have your qualification, please refer to
Apply to teach with us for information on applying for teacher employment in Queensland state schools.
How to apply
Apply now for 2018 Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (TECE) program
Enquiries and further information
Please email your name, university, course, graduation semester/year and which TECE you are considering to the TECE team at
*Supported by key recommendations made by the Teacher Education Ministerial Group (TEMAG) in its December 2014 report,
Action Now: Classroom Ready Teachers.