The Mount Stuart Cluster Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (MSCTECE) was established to prepare high quality preservice teachers for employment in North Queensland and Far North Queensland high priority state schools.
The MSCTECE is based in North Queensland region at the Oonoonba State School. This TECE also operates in the Far North Queensland region from the Cairns West State School. The head of the MSCTECE is an experienced teacher and has demonstrated high quality coaching and mentoring skills.
The MSCTECE program:
- develops high quality preservice teachers for employment in high priority rural and remote Queensland state schools in North Queensland and Far North Queensland regions
- matches preservice teachers with high quality mentor teachers who will support and help prepare them for the classroom
- coordinates professional learning (100 hours minimum) for preservice teachers to ensure they are ‘state school ready’
- showcases best practice professional experience for preservice teachers to make stronger connections between the theoretical and practical components of initial teacher education programs.
The MSCTECE program is targeted at high quality final year preservice teachers who are completing a degree in Early Childhood, Primary or Secondary Education.
All preservice teachers in the MSCTECE will be matched with experienced teachers who will support and mentor them for up to one year, for a minimum of 100 hours of professional learning that is in addition to university program requirements.
This will include:
- an extended professional learning program covering aspects specific to working in state schools as well as a strong focus on quality teaching, behaviour management and improving student outcomes
- increased opportunities for in-school experience
- opportunities to participate in the broader school community, with invitations to attend staff and parent meetings, to gain a strong understanding of the school culture.
On completion of all program requirements and meeting the department’s criteria for permanent teacher employment, MSCTECE graduates will receive:
- an early conditional offer of permanent employment in a high priority rural and remote state school, as identified by Human Resources
- access to existing
scholarships and grants, where eligible.
Application and selection process
Applications for the 2019 program have now closed.
Enquiries and further information
Enquiries may be directed to the Human Resources branch by emailing TECE@qed.qld.gov.au or phone (07) 3055 2973.