The STEAM Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (STEAM TECE) was established to support professionals with qualifications in science (including psychology), technology, engineering, Arts
(i.e. English) and mathematics to transition to teaching, and take employment in high priority state schools.
The STEAM TECE is based at Benowa State High School and works closely with Griffith University and local schools including Merrimac and Helensvale State High Schools. The Head of each TECE is an experienced teacher and has demonstrated high quality coaching and mentoring skills.
The STEAM TECE program:
- offers an elite preservice STEAM teacher development and induction program
- develops high quality mentors committed to supporting and preparing preservice teachers
- provides high quality induction into the Department of Education to prepare preservice teachers to work in Queensland state schools
- coordinates best practice practicum for graduate entry preservice teachers
- attracts STEAM specialists to the education sector.
The STEAM TECE program is targeted at high quality final year preservice teachers who are completing a postgraduate initial teacher education program in STEAM-related discipline.
All preservice teachers in the STEAM TECE will be matched with experienced teachers who will support and mentor them for a minimum of 100 hours of professional learning in addition to university program requirements.
This will include:
- additional days of professional experience in a partner school
- additional professional learning hours covering topics relevant to developing teacher capability in STEAM.
On completion of all program requirements, and meeting the Department’s criteria for permanent teacher employment, STEAM TECE graduates will receive:
- an early conditional offer of permanent employment in a high priority state school, as identified by Human Resources
- access to existing
scholarships and grants, where eligible.
Application and selection process
Applications for the 2019 program have now closed and all places have been filled.
Enquiries and further information
Enquiries may be directed to the Human Resources branch via email at
TECE@qed.qld.gov.au or phone (07) 3055 2973.