Get a head start on your teaching career and secure employment while you're still studying.
Our Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (TECE) programs provide participants with mentoring and free high-quality professional development during their final year of studies. This is a program of teaching excellence*, supported by research to develop classroom-ready teachers for employment in state schools.
*Supported by key recommendations made by the Teacher Education Ministerial Group (TEMAG) in its December 2014 report, Action Now: Classroom Ready Teachers.
Interested applicants apply through an online application for selection in one of the following six TECE programs:
- The Kelvin Grove TECE is located at Kelvin Grove State College and focuses on improving teacher preparation in Prep to Year 12, with exposure to rural placements.
- The Logan City TECE is located at Mabel Park State School and focuses on teacher preparation for Logan schools.
- The Morayfield TECE is located at Morayfield East State School and focuses on preparing high-quality beginning teachers, to be excellent pedagogical practitioners in with a focus on literacy and numeracy and social disadvantage.
- The Mount Stuart Cluster TECE is located at both Oonoonba State School and Cairns West State School and is focused on quality teaching in high priority teaching areas.
- The TECE Special Education is located at Aspley Special School and focuses on teaching in special education programs.
- The TECE: STEM is located at Benowa State High School and focuses on improving teacher quality in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) related disciplines.
What you receive
TECE participants are provided with:
- a permanent offer of employment in a state school in a high priority location upon graduation from the program
- extensive mentoring and free professional development for teaching in state schools
- opportunity to develop high-quality teaching skills to fast-track your teaching career.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible to apply, you must be:
- enrolled and/or completing your final year (in 2017) of an initial teacher education program as recognised for teacher registration in Queensland
- committed to completing the TECE program requirements in your final year of studies
- available to commence employment as a teacher in a high priority Queensland state school
- able to meet departmental teacher employment requirements, in particular being an Australian or New Zealand citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia.
How to apply
Detailed information about the application and selection process is available via SmartJobs.
Enquiries and further information
More information is available on the TECE website or get in touch with us at TECE@det.qld.gov.au