Get a head start on your teaching career and secure employment while you're still studying.
Our Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (TECE) programs provide participants with mentoring and free high-quality professional development that compliments the final year of their initial teacher education program studies.
This is a program of teaching excellence*, supported by research to develop classroom-ready teachers for employment in state schools.
Interested applicants can apply online for selection into the following six TECE programs:
Kelvin Grove TECE is located at Kelvin Grove State College and focuses on improving teacher preparation in Prep to Year 12, with exposure to rural and remote placements.
Logan City TECE is located at Mabel Park State School and focuses on building capability, readiness and resilience of best-fit, early-career teachers for Logan City state schools.
Morayfield TECE is located at Morayfield East State School and focuses on preparing high-quality beginning teachers, to be excellent pedagogical practitioners with a focus on literacy and numeracy and social disadvantage in high priority rural and remote locations.
- Mount Stuart Cluster TECE is located at both Oonoonba State School (Townsville) and Cairns West State School and is focused on quality teaching in high priority rural and remote areas.
TECE Special Education is located at Aspley Special School and focuses on teaching in special education programs.
TECE: STEM is located at Benowa State High School and focuses on improving teacher quality in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) related curriculum areas.
What you receive
TECE participants are provided with:
- a permanent offer of employment in a Queensland state school, in a high priority location upon graduation from the program and successful completion of their initial teacher education program
- extensive mentoring and free professional development to support their preparation for employment in a state school
- opportunity to develop high-quality teaching skills and fast-track their teaching career
- access to financial grants for rural or remote professional experience placements, where eligible.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible to apply, you must be:
- enrolled and/or completing your final year (in 2017) of an initial teacher education program that is recognised for
teacher registration in Queensland
- committed to completing the TECE program requirements in addition to the academic and professional experience requirements of the final year of their studies
- available to commence employment as a teacher in a high priority Queensland state school upon graduation
- able to meet
teacher employment requirements, in particular being an Australian citizen, hold an Australian or New Zealand special purpose visa or Australian permanent residency status.
How to apply
Detailed information about the application and selection process is available via
Applications are currently being called for:
TECE Special Education – Aspley
Enquiries and further information
Please email the TECE team at
Alert me when applications for these programs open.
*Supported by key recommendations made by the Teacher Education Ministerial Group (TEMAG) in its December 2014 report,
Action Now: Classroom Ready Teachers.