Are you an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander aspiring to be a teacher in a Queensland state school? With the assistance of a Pearl Duncan Teaching Scholarship, you will receive financial assistance during your study period and a guarantee of permanent employment.
The scholarship is named in honour of Pearl Duncan, Queensland's first Aboriginal educator who has dedicated her life to improving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander participation in education.
Applications are now open
Apply now for Semester 1, 2018 Pearl Duncan Teaching Scholarship
Pearl Duncan Teaching Scholarships support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders while they study to become teachers.
The scholarship provides up to $20,000 over 4 years and the opportunity of a permanent teaching position at a Queensland state school.
Note: Upon graduation, recipients must work for the Department of Education and Training for at least the same length of time as the scholarship period. For example, recipients who receive scholarship funds for four years must work for the department for a minimum of four years.
- Up to $20,000 pre-tax (up to $2,500 per successfully completed semester - up to 4 years) to help with study and other expenses.
- An offer of permanent employment as a teacher in a Queensland state school, starting the semester after you graduate (if you meet all scholarship and employment conditions).
- Access to:
To be eligible for the scholarship, you must:
- be able to provide written evidence that you are a recognised member of an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community, or that you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
- have achieved strong academic results in senior schooling or in previous tertiary studies
- nominate a full-time approved undergraduate teaching degree as your first preference with the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre
- have started an approved teaching degree (undergraduate or postgraduate) and be continuing full-time study.
Participants in the
Remote Area Teaching Education Program are eligible to apply.
How to apply
To apply, complete
the online application. You will also be required to submit supporting documentation and agree to the terms and conditions as outlined in the scholarship guidelines.
Enquiries and further information
Enquiries may be directed to
email@example.com or by telephone on (07) 3055 2967.