Are you completing Year 11 or 12 in a Queensland state school in 2019 and considering becoming a teacher? You may be eligible to receive financial assistance and fast-track your career by studying part of your teaching degree while you are still at school.
There are many benefits to starting your teaching degree while you are at school:
- You can finish your teaching degree faster as you will have completed some of the required tertiary education units in conjunction with your senior studies.
- The Department of Education will cover the cost of the tertiary education units you study.
- You may be eligible to receive a payment of up to $200 to help cover study costs related to your program including, but not limited to, text books, stationery, photocopying and campus visits.
- You can access additional support through a peer support network.
To be eligible to apply you must:
- be a secondary student, completing Year 11 or 12 at a Queensland state school in 2019
- be accepted into, and studying, eligible education units through one of the following approved programs offered by Queensland higher education institutions:
How to apply
Firstly you will need to complete the relevant higher education institution’s application process. When you have been accepted into the eligible program and selected your unit/s of study, your school will then need to complete the
Future Teachers Bursary application form on your behalf.
They must attach:
- evidence that you have been accepted into a program and education unit/s
- evidence of payment of fees for education unit/s (if applicable)
- your parent's permission to submit an application for the bursary.
Applications are currently closed. Register your interest to be notified when applications open.
Terms and conditions
You must have permission from your school principal (or delegate) and a parent/guardian to apply.
You may only apply for one bursary payment per unit. If you are studying more than one unit in a semester, you will need to complete an additional bursary application.
Bursary payments will be made to the school, who will then reimburse funds to recipients, where relevant.
The payment is intended to be used to assist with study expenses related to the program only.
If you withdraw from your program after receiving the payment, you may be required to repay the bursary.
For further information please email the Future Teachers team.