Looking for a challenging and creative career, where you can make a real difference?
The Aspiring Teacher Grants provide a one-off grant of $2,500 for up to 25 high-achieving Year 12 graduates who receive an OP between 1 and 6, and commence an undergraduate initial teacher education program in the first semester of the year following completion of their Year 12 schooling.
An additional 25 grants, valued at $5,000, are available for eligible applicants from rural or remote communities.
To be eligible for an Aspiring Teacher Grant, you must:
- successfully complete Year 12 at a Queensland state or non-state school during the current calendar year
- obtain an Overall Position (OP) of 1 to 6 at completion of study in the current calendar year
- commence an initial teacher education program at a Queensland Higher Education Institution in the first semester in the year following completion of year 12 schooling
- have not already been offered or accepted a scholarship or grant from the department to support their tertiary studies
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia.
Rural or remote applications
In addition to the general eligibility criteria above, in order to be eligible for the $5,000 Rural or Remote Aspiring Teacher Grant, your residential address must fall within the catchment of a Queensland state school with a transfer rating of TR3-TR7 as per the Department of Education school's directory.
Priority selection will be given to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and students who reside in drought affected communities. Drought declared regions can be viewed on the drought situation map provided by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.
Successful applicants will receive the one-off lump sum payment during the first semester of study to assist with study-related expenses such as a computer, textbooks or stationery.
For students from rural or remote communities, the funds seek to assist with additional expenses often incurred such as moving from their home to undertake study. The funds will be paid after confirmation of enrolment in an eligible initial teacher education course.
How to apply
Applications for the 2019 Aspiring Teacher Grants have closed.
Register your interest to be notified when applications for the 2020 Aspiring Teacher Grants open.
Specific enquiries may be directed to the Scholarships and Grants Team, Human Resources Branch, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (07) 3055 2991.
We also offer a range of other scholarships and grants that you may be eligible to apply for.